Monday, December 5, 2011

I'm Such a Dirty Liar

Here, it is, finally, LATE as ever, the promised recipe for sweet potato biscuits. But totally worth the wait, I promise!

You will need:
2 Cups of Self-Rising Flour
3 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon of Cinnamon *
1/8 Teaspoon of Ground Allspice *
1/4 Cup of Butter
3 Tablespoons Shortening *
1 Cup Mashed Sweet Potatoes
6 Tablespoons of Milk *
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter

*I had to improvise for some ingredients. For example, I added more cinnamon because it's so yummy; I used about a whole teaspoon. I didn't have any ground allspice so I mashed up one whole allspice. I didn't have any shortening so I used two tablespoons of vegetable oil. I also decided to add about three more tablespoons of milk to my mixture because it wasn't wet enough.

Combine first four ingredients in a bowl and cut in the 1/4 cup of butter and shortening/vegetable oil with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Add mashed sweet potatoes and milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.

You have two options now:
A. Turn dough out onto floured  surface and knead a few times, roll out to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a 2'' biscuit or cookie cutter.
OR
B. Roll a teaspoon sized amount of mixture into balls.

Place biscuits on an un-greased baking sheet (I admit it, I greased it anyway) and brush with melted butter. Bake at 400 degrees for twelve minutes (if you used a cookie cutter, they will turn a pretty brown color and if you rolled them into balls, they will be more of a yellowy-white). Drizzle with honey and serve warm. My yield (the teaspoon sized balls) was about 25. I also put them into pretty cupcake papers :)

You can also cut them in half and put a piece of ham in the middle. Freaking yum.

ENJOY!

And I would just like to say that everyone liked them and they were all gone and I had no idea that sweet potatoes were so cheap! BEST. STAPLE. EVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment