Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Debbie Lesko and the "Whore Pills"

So let me just go ahead and clarify a few things:
1. I am not a political expert. This is my opinion.
2. This is a blog post, not a newsroom banter table.
Those things being said, do not come back at me with my own words or yours. I'll own what I say because I did my research before I opened my mouth but if you have nothing better to do than google or stumble upon this and complain to me, go away.

The Basic Bill HB2625
So lets dissect this.
First let's start off with Lesko.
According to debbielesko.com, paid for by the "Re-Elect Debbie Lesko Committee" and plastered with photos of her fulfilling her patriotic duties, she is a happily married woman with three children. That's nice. She's pretty. Big smile. Seems to like kids. (Ha ha see what I did there?)
She doesn't seem like some psycho crazy politician. And yet...
I'm really not saying she is. I'm being a little harsh on her because I'm angry but I genuinely don't believe many people wake up saying "I'm going to tick off America today." And I don't think she did either. I think she just took something too far.

But let's be real. This bill is crap.

In a nutshell (although I 100% strongly encourage you to read the bill for yourself instead of just taking it from me) HB2625 states that if you are a religious employer or a secular employer who has a moral problem with using contraceptives for birth control than you can choose to not cover the cost of it in any health insurance plan for an employee who uses it (you may require a doctor's note saying that the contraceptives are for acne or hormones; I suppose that's so the employer can pretend to rest easy with their conscious clear at night). You may also fire them if they pay for contraceptives with any other source, be it private insurance outside your work place or cash.
Her thing is that she doesn't want to force employers to offer or accept something that they feel is morally wrong. Now I am SO COOL with not forcing people to deal with things that they think are morally wrong BUT I have a few issues with this.
First of all, who thinks that the government should stay out of people's bedrooms (heterosexual or homosexual) in the first place and deal with the economy, the sex trafficking in "our own beloved, free country," the poverty of so many, the death of sick children, world hunger, ANYTHING that a government should be doing? I mean the function of a government is to handle things that the people cannot handle themselves. We can handle who we sleep with and how many kids we want (although I might not protest to making people take parenting classes or something before they can have kids; I'm so tired of crap parents...). The government needs to butt out of people's personal lives and focus on doing it's freaking job. They sure get paid enough.
Second of all: birth control is not the same as abortion. Whether you are pro-choice or pro-life, you are an idiot if you think preventing pregnancy is on the same level as abortion. If that were the case, then you're all mass serial killers because every sperm or egg you've ever produced would have to become a baby. Swallow that. I am a firm supporter of birth control. For some people, it is a medical danger for them to be pregnant. For other people, they are intelligent enough to know that they don't actually want kids, that they can't take care of a kid or that they just aren't ready for one yet. It seems that people don't want the option of birth control because it will give other "bad" people reason to have crazy promiscuous sex all day every day. Let me tell you something: I'm all for waiting for that person. But if someone is going to have sex, they are 9 times out of 10 going to have sex whether they have birth control or not. And I for one would rather they just have it because I see no reason to bring yet another child into this world who isn't wanted or can't be taken care of or whatever the case may be. I am not saying all teen moms are crap; all I'm saying is that if they made a mistake, I'd rather see consequences prevented in the first place than aborted later or miserable even later.
Lastly, let's be realistic: you can't make everybody happy all the time. Either the employer has to be unhappy or the employee has to be unhappy. I, personally, think that no employee's basic health insurance coverage should be lessened because of what the employers "feels." No employer has the right to decide those kinds of things (whether B.C. is right or wrong, whether someone needs kids, can't have sex anymore, etc.) for an employee. Period. And I'm not saying you shouldn't stand by what you believe in; if you think B.C. is wrong, fine. Stand by that. Own it. But do not try to make my choices for me. You shouldn't lessen basic healthcare and then on top of that, threaten or even be allowed to threaten to fire someone for getting it another way that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with you or your company. If you simply can't tolerate the thought that someone is working for you who uses birth control, opt out of offering healthcare and be prepared for people to find better jobs. I will not sacrifice my body, my time, the rest of my life just to make you feel like you fulfilled some religious duty that had nothing to do with you to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment